Following the great response to a facebook post in the “Friends of NYBBW” facebook group, this page has been set up to help organise a reunion concert to mark the 40th anniversary of the National Youth Brass Band of Wales in 2022.
I’m delighted to announce that a provisional reunion concert has been planned and is scheduled for the afternoon of SUNDAY 28 AUGUST 2022 in the Music Hall of Cardiff University. There will be a rehearsal in this venue in the morning, plus rehearsals in the morning and afternoon of Saturday 27 August 2022 at the RAF St Athan bandroom.
Please only sign up using the form below if you can make ALL REHEARSAL SESSIONS as well as the concert. Once enough signups have been received to make a viable band, we will start to sell tickets.
There are provisional plans to meet for drinks on the evening of Friday 26 August, and potentially arrange a meal on the evening of Saturday 27 August for anyone who wishes to attend; details of these will be confirmed once we know we have a viable band.
There are a few ground rules:
- There will be no auditions. If you can play competently to roughly 3rd section standard and are prepared to practise the music at home before the reunion weekend, you should have no problems. If you haven’t played for years, however, we probably can’t accommodate you this time.
- We are however happy to accept “non-players” who would like to help backstage or front-of-house! Select “Nonplaying” in the preferred seat part of the signup form below.
- The number of players is theoretically unlimited, however there may be some limits due to the available performance space. Plus, we’d like a sensibly balanced band – it’s no good having 9 euphoniums and 10 tubas if we only have 6 cornets! If we have to put limits on numbers these will be in the order that we receive your signup forms – earlier signups take priority.
- No instruments can be supplied except percussion; you will need to bring your own, as well as any mutes required.
- No expenses can be paid. If you have to pay for an overnight stay, food, fuel, childcare or anything else, we’re sorry but you must fund that yourself.
- The Friends of the NYBBW will pay for the venue, and Ev-Entz have agreed to loan percussion instruments. Any money made from ticket sales will go towards the NYBBW Bursary fund.
- Players need to be available for all rehearsal sessions. We want to put on a good show worthy of the NYBBW, and rehearsal time will be limited as it is.
- We will try to accommodate players on their preferred seats. However we ask that in order to reduce admin, players accept the seat they are allocated!
- We will do our utmost to make this event accessible to all. We may be constrained by limits beyond our control, given that we are very reliant on goodwill and have an exceedingly limited budget, but if you have specific accessibility requirements please let us know in the signup form and we will do our best to accommodate you.
I’m delighted to announce that the band’s founding musical director Edward Gregson has agreed to conduct, and I know that those of us who were members during Eddie’s time in charge will be particularly delighted to see him back in front of the band!
Please use the form below to sign up. You need to this even if you have already emailed me, or added your name on facebook, or expressed interest anywhere else. If you have not signed up using this form, you have not signed up full stop!
If you have any questions, you can contact me via facebook messenger or email me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Morthanveld Publishing Ltd
Back row cornet, 1991-92